Orchid Society of Northern Nevada
Annual Greenhouse Tour
(As of Friday, August 3 at 3PM)
1. If you would like to carpool, meet at 9:00 – Reno Town Mall parking lot on the SW corner of Peckham at Virginia diagonally across from Atlantis. (Wells Fargo Bank at corner) We will leave at 9:15 sharp.
Any questions, call Taeko 313-8618 .
2. Sally and her husband have room for 3 more people in South Reno. They will leave from the Summit Mall at 9:30 sharp. ( NW corner of Virginia and Mt Rose Hwy) Call 741-8426 leaving a message if not answered. They will also stay for lunch.
Directions and corrections
10:00-10:30 Mark Jackson: 688 Meadow Ln, Carson City
Under-the-trees lath house. Orchids can survive & bloom under rough desert conditions.
(Allow 35 minutes from Moana and 395.)
395 North. Exit #38 Fairview. Left at offramp (Fairview) At traffic circle take 1st exit to
E 5th. RIGHT on Hidden Meadow. RIGHT on Meadow Ln to gray house on the right..
11:00-11:30 Neal Winslow: 2369 Fremont, Minden
Commercial-style greenhouse, Rare orchids, overgrown and slowly being untangled.
(30 minutes from Mark’s house.)
Backtrack: Meadow Ln turns LEFT and becomes Hidden Meadow Dr
Turn LEFT onto E 5th St. At the traffic circle, take 2nd exit onto Fairview Dr
Turn RIGHT to merge onto I-580 N/US-395
From 395. LEFT on Johnson Ln to top of hill. Turn RIGHT on Fremont for 1.4 miles. When you see a 45mph sign you have arrived, House is on the LEFT.
11:40-12:10 Steve Redmond: 1644 Orchard, Gardnerville
One-year old greenhouse of a new-to-Nevada but long-time (10+ years) orchid enthusiast.
(7 minutes from Neal’s house.)
SOUTH on Fremont (East Valley Road) for 3 miles. RIGHT on Buckeye for 1 mile, LEFT on Orchard to the 1st house that is set close (50 ft) from the road. White house.
September 6, 2018: Dennis Olivas
Dennis Olivas was born on the island of Kauai, Hawaii. As a lad he helped his mom grow her orchids and got hooked. He joined the Future Farmers of America and his project was raising and selling orchids.
In 1980 he moved to the mainland and swore off the orchid family; not for long, as he was introduced to Rod McLellan’s ‘Acres of Orchids’. First he filled his home with upwards of 6,000 plants. Later heleased greenhouse space for his collection. A glutton for punishment, he continued to add to his collection, overflowing the 3,000 sq. ft. greenhousein Half Moon Bay. Currently his greenhouse (D&D Flowers) is in Daly City.
Dennis has been president of Peninsula Orchid Society, San Francisco Orchid Society, Diablo View Orchid Society, and the Santa Cruz Orchid Society. He is an accredited judge of the American Orchid Society. Dennis belongs to over 14 orchid societies and tries to assist them whenever possible.
- October 2018: TBA
- November 2018: TBA
- December 2018: Annual Christmas Party
- January 3, 2019: A Tour of the Orchid Society of Northern Nevada Website
- February 2019: Annual Orchid Show and Sale at Moana Nursery
- March 7, 2019: TBA
- April 4, 2019: TBA
- May 2019: TBA
- June 2019: TBA
- July 2019: Annual Picnic, Auction and Elections
- August 2019: Greenhouse Tour